Christmas Water Cooler: Batman: White Knight, Three Identical Strangers, Marwen, Hate U Give, Skate Kitchen, The Endless, Die Hard, Spider-Verse, First Man, Codenames & More
Dec 26th, 2018 by slashfilmdaily
On the December 26, 2018 episode of /Film Daily, /Film editor in chief Peter Sciretta is joined by /Film weekend editor Brad Oman, senior writer Ben Pearson, and writers Hoai-Tran Bui and Chris Evangelista, to talk about what they’ve been up at the Water Cooler.
At The Water Cooler:
- What we’ve been Doing:
- Brad had his annual Friendsmas party, was forced to open almost all the White Elephant Christmas gifts himself, helped his friend Ben create his own Escape Room
- Peter brought one of his favorite board game designers Jamey Stegmaier to the Magic Castle.
- Ben is bouncing back and forth between his parents’ and in-laws’ houses for Christmas; visited Top Golf for the first time
- Hoai-Tran went to Georgetown Glow with her sister and mom, had her annual Secret Santa with her high school friends, and ate a lot.
- What we’ve been Reading:
- Comixology is having their big year end sale, so Peter usually buys a lot of the big critically acclaimed comics and graphic novels. He read Batman: White Knight by Sean Murphy (written and art) and is half way through The Best We Could Do by Thi Bui.
- Brad isn’t reading yet, but is excited to dive into a Young Frankenstein book about the making of the movie and Stranger Things: Worlds Turned Upside Down.
- Chris finished Alan Sepinwall and Matt Zoller Seitz’s The Sopranos Sessions.
- What we’ve been Watching:
- Ben watched Three Identical Strangers.
- What we’ve been Doing:
- Brad saw Widows, Bumblebee and Welcome to Marwen.
- Peter saw Aquaman for the second time, but this time in IMAX. He watched the season finale of Survivor: David vs. Goliath. At home he caught up on some screeners and movies on streaming, including The Hate U Give, You Were Never Really Here, Upgrade, Skate Kitchen, The Endless, and The American Meme. He also watched the first couple episodes of the new Guillermo Del Toro-produced Netflix and Dreamworks animated series 3Below: Tales of Arcadia, and the first episode of Syfy’s Deadly Class.
- Hoai-Tran (finally) saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Minding the Gap, rewatched Game Night, saw Die Hard for the first time, and binged the latest episodes of Terrace House.
- Chris (re)watched First Man, Vice and Destroyer.
- What we’ve been Eating:
- Peter officially lost 30 pounds. Then spent Christmas eating Chinese food. He somehow gained a handful of pounds in the process.
- Brad found the Hershey’s milk chocolate bar with Reese’s Pieces
- What we’ve been Playing:
- Peter played a new board game he got for Christmas called Photosynthesis.
- Brad has been listening to the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse soundtrack.
- Hoai-Tran played Codenames for the first time, got a PS4 for Christmas.
Other articles mentioned:
All the other stuff you need to know:
- You can find more about all the stories we mentioned on today’s show at slashfilm.com, and linked inside the show notes.
- /Film Daily is published every weekday, bringing you the most exciting news from the world of movies and television as well as deeper dives into the great features from slashfilm.com.
- You can subscribe to /Film Daily on iTunes, Google Play, Overcast, Spotify and all the popular podcast apps (RSS).
- Send your feedback, questions, comments and concerns to us at email@example.com. Please leave your name and general geographic location in case we mention the e-mail on the air.
- Please rate and review the podcast on iTunes, tell your friends and spread the word!
- Thanks to Sam Hume for our logo.