Guardians 3, Galaxy’s Edge, Big Trouble In Little China remake, Star Wars Episode 9 & Russo Brothers
Aug 27th, 2018 by slashfilmdaily
On the August 27, 2018 episode of /Film Daily, /Film editor-in-chief Peter Scirettais joined by senior writer Ben Pearsonand writer Chris Evangelista to read some responses in the Mail Bag and talk about the latest film and tv news, including Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, Disney's Streaming service, Big Trouble In Little China remake, Star Wars Episode 9, and The Russo Brothers next film.
Opening Banter: Our usual Monday Watercooler episode will happen tomorrow instead due to our usual contributors being away.
In The Mail Bag: Last week we talked briefly about the worst films we’ve seen this year (so far) and asked if there were any that we missed. Here are your responses:
- Brian from Wichita, Kansas says “As a huge horror movie fan, there have been some spectacular experiences in 2018 such as A Quiet Place, some disappointments like Winchester and some rotten apples like Truth or Dare. This being said, I give the RottenPasta award to Slender Man. So much urban legend potential to bring this story to life but alas, this movie has weak dialogue, bland cinematography and worst of all, it isn't scary. My biggest disappointment of the year so far.“
- Matt from Connecticut says “I saw SUPERFLY with my MoviePass. What a steaming pile. Amateurish, terribly written and acted, with the most ridiculous, adolescent fantasy sex scene I’ve ever seen. Pure garbage.”
- Chase D from Ohio says “ So I just checked my Letterboxd diary for 2018 and it is telling me that I’ve seen 99 movies already... wow. Haha. 78 unique movies, and these are the ones I scored a 4/10 or worse: - Proud Mary - Death Wish - The 15:17 to Paris - A Wrinkle in Time - Super Troopers 2 - Overboard - Life of the Party - Action Point And the winner of the worst scored movie of 2018 (so far) for me, with a 2/10, was Gotti. And I will be honest and say that the score is biased. It was filmed in my hometown, I worked on it, and I even was a background extra and made it into the final cut! So.. a 2/10 is probably too high, but I saw myself on a movie screen so sue me.😂😂”
- Will M says “This past weekend I watched Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich. It was absolutely brutal. As an S. Craig Zahler fan, man was I disappointed.”
- Sean from Missouri writes “I just wanted to chime in with my picks for the worst movies of the year. I haven't seen a ton of movies this year but so far for me, it was definitely Maze Runner 3: The Death Cure and The Meg, hands down. The former had me questioning what I have been doing with my life, and the latter had me welcoming the sweet release of death. Also, since Brad mentioned Netflix movies, I haven't seen very many at all but that new John Woo movie was pretty awful. I actually didn't hate The Cloverfield Paradox as much as some people. I mean, it was bad but it was just kind of like "meh, whatever" bad. Anyway, I really enjoy the podcast and I have been listening almost since you guys started it. Hope you are doing well!”
In The News:
- Chris: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’ On Hold In Wake of James Gunn Firing
- Ben: Disney is Tweaking The Millennium Falcon Ride at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
- Chris: Netflix May Stop Mailing Movies By 2022, But 3 Million People Still Have DVD Plans
- Chris: Disney Streaming Service Gets an Official Name, Will Cost Less Than Netflix
- Ben: Dwayne Johnson’s ‘Big Trouble in Little China’ Won’t Be a Remake, But a Continuation
- Chris: Dominic Monaghan Joins ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’
- Ben: The Russo Brothers to Direct ‘Cherry’ After ‘Avengers 4’
All the other stuff you need to know:
You can find more about all the stories we mentioned on today’s show at slashfilm.com, and linked inside the show notes.
/Film Daily is published every weekday, bringing you the most exciting news from the world of movies and television as well as deeper dives into the great features from slashfilm.com.
Please feel free to send your feedback, questions, comments and concerns to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please leave your name and general geographic location in case we mention the e-mail on the air.
Please rate and review the podcast on iTunes, tell your friends and spread the word!