Oscars 2020: Best Moments, Big Winners & Losers, and More
Feb 10th, 2020 by slashfilmdaily
On the February 10, 2020 episode of /Film Daily, /Film senior writer Ben Pearson is joined by /Film weekend editor Brad Oman and writer Hoai-Tran Bui to discuss the 92nd annual Academy Awards.
- How Going Hostless Hurt the Oscars This Year
- Best Moments
- Janelle Monae intro (background dancers repping movies that otherwise didn’t get mentioned)
- Practically every moment Bong Joon-ho was on screen
- Into the Unknown performance, Cynthia Erivo’s song
- Cats moment
- Worst Moments
- Jokes about diversity (“all women are superheroes”) - contrast that with Hildur Gudnadottir’s speech
- Female conductor (or was that actually good?)
- Jacob hated the “songs in movies” montage
- Renee Zellweger’s speech
- Big Winners
- Bong Joon-ho: Best Original Screenplay, Best International Feature Film, Best Director, Best Picture
- Laura Dern: Best Supporting Actress
- Toy Story 4: Best Animated Feature (Klaus won seven Annie Awards, seemed to be a contender)
- Big Losers
- Netflix (The Irishman, Klaus, and The Two Popes shut out, Marriage Story’s only win went to Laura Dern)
- Avengers: Endgame and The Lion King for VFX
- Little Women in everything but costume design
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood won two Oscars, but still feels like a bit of a loser
- Who Should Host Next Year?
- Hosting duos: Martin/Rock, Wiig/Rudolph, Ferrell/Louis-Dreyfus
- What Does Parasite’s Win Mean for the Future of the Oscars?
Other Articles Mentioned:
- 2020 Oscars Winners: ‘Parasite’ Surprises Everybody By Winning Best Picture
- The Morning Watch: 2020 Oscars Video Highlights: The Best Speeches, Musical Performances, and More
- The 5 Best Moments From the Confusing, Chaotic, Cathartic 2020 Oscars
- ‘Parasite’ Director Bong Joon-ho Tied an Oscars Record Set By Walt Disney 67 Years Ago
- Rumor: HBO’s ‘Parasite’ TV Series Might Star Mark Ruffalo
All the other stuff you need to know:
- You can find more about all the stories we mentioned on today’s show at slashfilm.com, and linked inside the show notes.
- /Film Daily is published every weekday, bringing you the most exciting news from the world of movies and television as well as deeper dives into the great features from slashfilm.com.
- You can subscribe to /Film Daily on iTunes, Google Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify and all the popular podcast apps (RSS).
- Send your feedback, questions, comments and concerns to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please leave your name and general geographic location in case we mention the e-mail on the air.
- Please rate and review the podcast on iTunes, tell your friends and spread the word!
- Thanks to Sam Hume for our logo.