Watchmen Episode 3 Spoiler Discussion
Nov 4th, 2019 by slashfilmdaily
On the November 1, 2019 episode of /Film Daily, /Film senior writer Ben Pearson is joined by /Film writers Hoai-Tran Bui and Chris Evangelista to talk about the third episode of HBO’s Watchmen, titled “She Was Killed By Space Junk.”
Opening Banter: Thanks to Kris Keochinda for the opening theme song and @sirzapz on Twitter for the logo
- Who is Laurie Blake?
- Watchmen comic backstory
- She has a complicated relationship with masks, as seen through her relationships with Mr. Shadow (“he’s not a hero...he’s a fucking joke”) & Petey
- Is Keene behind this whole thing?
- Presidential hopeful. Crime is down 80% in Tulsa, other cities want to adopt the Defense of Police Act. Is he orchestrating these events to draw attention to him and his policies?
- Implies that he could get Nite Owl out of jail
Introduction of Petey
FBI Deputy Director seems resistant to Petey’s ideas to dive into the psychology of Rorschach - is there something else going on there?
Millennium Clock - who is Lady Trieu?
On the plane with Laurie, Petey says the word “fan” with real contempt
Laurie interrogates Looking Glass, who reveals that Judd’s funeral is in a couple of hours
Seventh Kavalry suicide bomber interrupts the funeral. Laurie (who was hiding a weapon) shoots him, Angela throws the bomb into Judd’s grave
Face off between Laurie and Angela
- Adrian Veidt (confirmed)
- His “we’ll have a use for him before too long” quote appeared in the “previously on” segment - did we see that use in this episode?
- What is his endgame? Designs for a catapult/trebuchet, but Mr. Phillips has a rope attached to him
- Who is the game warden? What is the dynamic at play here? Is he in Argentina with plastic surgery?
- Car crashes down (ties in with her joke) - is Doctor Manhattan involved somehow? Does he care more than Laurie thinks?
- Tidbits: They’re staying at the Black Freighter Inn. Tartarus Acres is the name of the cemetery. Pirate imagery on the manor
Other Articles Mentioned:
- ‘Watchmen’ Brings Back Some Familiar Names With “She Was Killed by Space Junk”
- The ‘Watchmen’ Reference Guide: Every Easter Egg in “She Was Killed by Space Junk”
- ‘Watchmen’ Episode 4 Promo Teases Lady Trieu and a Reckoning
- How ‘Watchmen’ Uses Superheroes to Explore the Complexity of Being Black in America
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ Demonstrates the Right Way to “Remix” a Classic
- If You’re Enjoying ‘Watchmen’, You’ll Love These Five Comic Books
All the other stuff you need to know:
- You can find more about all the stories we mentioned on today’s show at slashfilm.com, and linked inside the show notes.
- /Film Daily is published every weekday, bringing you the most exciting news from the world of movies and television as well as deeper dives into the great features from slashfilm.com.
- You can subscribe to /Film Daily on iTunes, Google Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify and all the popular podcast apps (RSS).
- Send your feedback, questions, comments and concerns to us at email@example.com. Please leave your name and general geographic location in case we mention the e-mail on the air.
- Please rate and review the podcast on iTunes, tell your friends and spread the word!
- Thanks to Sam Hume for our logo.