Water Cooler: Spider-Man, Venom, Birdbox, Love Simon, Aquaman, Ben Is Back, Bumblebee, Destroyer, Free Solo, Love Actually & Happy as Lazzaro
Dec 17th, 2018 by slashfilmdaily
On the December 17, 2018 episode of /Film Daily, /Film editor in chief Peter Sciretta is joined by managing editor Jacob Hall, weekend editor Brad Oman, senior writer Ben Pearson, and writers Hoai-Tran Bui and Chris Evangelista to talk about what they’ve been watching at the Water Cooler.
Opening Banter: What are you guys doing for Christmas?
At The Water Cooler:
- What we’ve been Doing:
- Jacob hosted a holiday party and has learned the value of slippers.
- Peter has been pushing his Magic.
- Hoai-Tran went to the Museum of Illusions in Chelsea, visited the Chelsea Market, and learned that her friend moved into an apartment that was the exterior for John Wick’s The Continental.
- What we’ve been Reading:
- Peter has been reading more Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man comics and tried to read Spider-Gwen.
- What we’ve been Watching:
- Jacob watched Can You Ever Forgive Me? and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.
- Chris watched Venom, The House that Jack Built, and Birdbox.
- What we’ve been Doing:
- Peter watched Love Simon, Leave No Trace, Hearts Beat Loud, and left Disneyland to watch Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse for a third time.
- Brad watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Aquaman, Ben Is Back, and Anna and the Apocalypse
- Ben watched Aquaman, Bumblebee, Minding the Gap, Destroyer, Free Solo, The Favourite, and Roma.
- Hoai-Tran watched Happy as Lazzaro, The Garden of Words, did a holiday viewing of Love Actually.
- What we’ve been Eating:
- Peter has fallen in love with Rebel Creamery’s Ice Cream, and has discovered Quest Pizza at Target.
- Brad tried Ghiradelli Toffee and Cookie Crunch Squares
- What we’ve been Playing:
- Jacob has been designing a Scum and Villainy session for the holidays.
Other articles mentioned:
- ‘Bird Box’ Review: Frequently Terrifying, but Frustratingly Derivative
- Pop Culture Imports: ‘Roma,’ ‘Happy as Lazzaro,’ a French Comedic Caper, an Immigrant Detention Drama, and More
All the other stuff you need to know:
- You can find more about all the stories we mentioned on today’s show at slashfilm.com, and linked inside the show notes.
- /Film Daily is published every weekday, bringing you the most exciting news from the world of movies and television as well as deeper dives into the great features from slashfilm.com.
- You can subscribe to /Film Daily on iTunes, Google Play, Overcast, Spotify and all the popular podcast apps (RSS).
- Send your feedback, questions, comments and concerns to us at email@example.com. Please leave your name and general geographic location in case we mention the e-mail on the air.
- Please rate and review the podcast on iTunes, tell your friends and spread the word!
- Thanks to Sam Hume for our logo.